Autism is a disorder that affects how people react to social interactions and sensory issues. Millions of people have autism, even some famous ones that may be recognized.
- Although Albert Einstein has long been gone, all the signs point to him being autistic. He was not a fluent speaker until he was nine years old and was considered eccentric and a loner. He was named “Person of the Century,” by Time Magazine in 1999.
- The actress, Daryl Hannah, suffers from Asperger’s Syndrome, which is a type of Autism. She is very socially shy and does not like being in the spotlight.
- Another famous actor with autism is Matthew Laborteaux who is known for playing Albert Ingalls on “Little House on the Prairie.”
- Dr. Temple Grandin is an exceptional woman with autism. She is the Professor of Animal Science at Colorado State University and has nine books published as well as a movie made about her.
- Charles Darwin is another exceptional person that displayed signs of Asperger’s Syndrome.
- Several famous authors have been diagnosed as autistic: Sue Rubin,
- Donna Williams,
- Arman Khodaei,
- Michelle Dawson – all 6-9 have not let their diagnosis prevent them from getting published.
- The well known artist, Dylan Scott Pierce, was discovered when he was just twelve years old. His wildlife paintings have received national recognition.
The main factor that all these people share is that they have not let autism hold them back from their goals and dreams. Many forms of treatment have been discovered that help people with autism cope better with the disorder.