Many studies suggest that the epidemic rise of autism spectrum disorders is due to the fact that we are living in an evermore hostile environment, a world filled with pollution and toxins. We know that our toxic environment is to blame for many diseases and conditions, and now it seems that we can add autism to this list.
Environmental toxins include pesticides, emissions, dioxins and PCBs, Nicotine, Solvents and heavy metals. In this blog post, we will examine the link between heavy metal exposure and autism, and how this can be combated.
Some research has linked autism with heavy metal exposure, but what are heavy metals and how are our children exposed to them?
- Mercury – Mercury is used as a preservative (thimerosal) in certain medicines and some vaccines, and is also a by-product emitted by various industrial processes. Mercury is poisonous in high doses and the symptoms of mercury poisoning are incredibly similar to autism symptoms.
- Cadmium – Cadmium is in the air we breathe and the water we drink, and comes from smoking and pollution.
- Lead – Lead is found in old water pipes, old paint and leaded fuel. High lead levels in children have been linked to learning problems, cognitive impairment, aggression and other problems.
- Manganese – Manganese is found in the environment in wastewater, sewage, the mining and mineral processing industries and in industrial emissions. High levels have been linked to hyperactivity and learning disabilities.
Heavy Metals and the Body
Doesn’t the body excrete such toxins?
Generally, the body is able to cope with exposure to heavy metals by excreting them as waste products. However, autistic children may have a metabolism that is unable to do this efficiently and these heavy metals build up in the body. This build up starts to damage and poison the body, causing developmental problems and impairment.
Chelation therapy has been found to be highly effective in treating heavy metal toxicity. “Chelation” is the body’s own process of detoxifying itself and excreting toxins, and chelation drugs support the body in this process. Chelation therapy works by removing the heavy metals from the body’s tissues and making them water- soluble so that they are easy for the body to excrete.
Chelators recommended by the DAN! Project (The Autism Research Institute’s “Defeat Autism Now!” project) are TTFD, DMPS and DMSA.
It is recommended that chelation treatment is combined with gut healing treatments, to stop heavy metals being reabsorbed by a damaged gut, and glutathione (GSH), an essential nutrient that protects the body’s cells from toxins. HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy) is also a great biomedical treatment for heavy metal exposure because it uses the healing power of oxygen to reduce inflammation in the gut, to detoxify the body and to help the body repair damaged cells and tissue.
Cutting the toxic load
As well as using chelation therapy, you should reduce your child’s exposure to toxins by:-
- Using reverse osmosis drinking water.
- Eating organic foods
- Avoiding the use of pesticides in the garden
- Using “natural” cleaning and laundry products rather than harsh chemicals
- Using a HEPA filter in your vacuum cleaner and in your child’s room
- Avoiding cooking wrap and aluminum products in cooking
- Avoiding the use of solvents, adhesives, varnishes and paints around your child
Cutting your child’s toxic load, healing the gut, using chelation therapy, nourishing your child with a good diet and supplements, and using HBOT therapy will all help to heal your child of the damage caused by heavy metal exposure.
Find out more about the biomedical approach to autism and how to help your child, in my manual “Stop Autism Now Using Secrets of Biomedical Medicine” – click here for details.