Is Cuba’s Lower Autism Rate Connected to Its Less Aggressive Vaccination Schedule?

Did you catch our infographic on Autism in the United Kingdom on Friday? In case you missed it, you can see it here.

The sad truth is that Autism affects children in many countries, not just the United States. There are some countries, like Cuba for instance that has a troubled economy with not as many Autism treatment options, that have Autism Rates that are 100 times lower than say, the United States that has advancements and a strong(er) economy.

Why is this? Why does Cuba, a less advanced country, have a lower Autism rate?

Did you know that the United States has the highest number of mandated vaccines in children under 5 in the world? There are about 40 required vaccines for children in the United States. Cuba? Significantly lower.  The United States also has the larges number of documented Autism cases. (source) 1 in 110 children are diagnosed with Autism. (source)

What do vaccines have to do with it?

First a little on vaccines.

The argument over the necessity or lack thereof of vaccines in children has been existent for many years. It was reported some time ago that vaccines had Thiromesol, a mercury related preservative which is harmful on the body. It was said that this was a cause of Autism, since the bodies of children who have Autism have a higher level of toxic metals. Some parents started avoiding vaccines all together, while others felt that the risk wasn’t high enough to not get the protection against other sicknesses.

You might remember a few weeks back when we posted about a recent study that claimed that Vaccines were found to be safe. We then went on to explain that it’s not just the presence of Mercury-like substances in vaccines, but the existence of allergens. It’s known that autistic children have a sensitive immune system. They are known to have Gluten or Dairy allergies, and while avoiding the foods that have these in them is a great idea, vaccines can also set this off.

Point being, it’s not just mercury that we need to look out for, but the seemingly “normal” ingredients.

As we said, Cuba has a much much lower mandated number of vaccines. And because of the lower level economy, many children, or even the country cannot afford the vaccines. So, Cuba with hardly any vaccines, has 100x lower of an Autism rate than the United States which has 40 mandated vaccines.

Could it be coincidence?

Take a look at this chart that compares the number of Vaccines mandates and number of Autism Cases. Cuba is not on this list, but on the website deathbyvaccine.com, they do state that Cuban men who receive less vaccines, live longer than American men.

Comments

1. nadia says

hi
    I think it is strongly connected and as I know the autism rate in Sweden and Denemark is low as well and if you check their vaccination schedual you will see that is at least the half of USA vaccination given to children under 6 .

kind regards

2. Wendy Fobelets says

Hello
    I think that Autism is caused by vaccination partially. I have my oldest son who has been diagnosed ASS recently. I had only opted for the vaccination of POLIO because this is obliged legaly in Belgium. My son reacted very strongly and even had fever. Every vaccination he got he had fever or he turned sick.
    However, my youngest son didn’t react at all.
    My brother who has been diagnosed Autism since several years didn’t react well to vaccination as well. It is my opinion that children who are weaker to vaccination can have easierly autism. Now, I am for 100% convinced that Autism is caused partialy by vaccination but not entirely…
    I hope that my opinion matters.
    Have a nice day

3. admin says

Hi Stephen, I understand it is hard to differentiate but I would try to answer your question. Vaccine can cause autism (Gerber and Offit, 2009; Baker, 2008) and also, aggravate a low ‘chemical’ tolerance individual causing him to have autistic behaviours. A low chemical tolerance refers to the state of the body whereby the presence of heavy metals or other chemicals can induce symptoms.

References

Baker, J. (2008) ‘Mercury, Vaccines, and Autism: One Controversy, Three Histories’, American Journal of Public Health, 98(2), pp. 244-253. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2376879/ (Accessed: 18 November, 2011).

Gerber, J. and Offit, P. (2009) ‘Vaccines and Autism: A Tale of Shifting Hypotheses’, Clinical Infectious Diseases, 48(4), pp. 456-461.

4. admin says

Hi Wendy, I totally agreed with you and it is most unfortunate that this had to happen in your family. The main issue is at what state or condition is the body in when it received the bacterial vaccination along with its ingredients. For example, if your system is weak and you received vaccination then you are more likely to have a ‘bad’ reactions.

5. ANNITA says

I am astonished with what I read. However I donot believe that vaccination could cause autism. How could the parent protect his/her children from serious sickness if he/she believes vacciation could harm them?

6. admin says

Hi Annita, vaccination is a public health policy to control, manage and ‘eliminate’ disease transmission or an epidemic. The responsibility of health care is an individual decision. There is no ‘magic pill’ for thing in life as the saying goes “no such things as free lunch”. By doing vaccination does not guaranteed you from not contracting the disease as there are many cases in literature of those still getting chickenpox and so forth with vaccination. You could as parents and it is your responsibilities as well protect your child by practicing healthy lifestyle, clean air, clean diet, clean water, being happy and harmonious as a family structure and most importantly give love to him or her. If she contracted for example, measles we have the medical advance to help the child. Nonetheless, the ultimate decision to vaccinate rest on your choice and you should live with it yourself and do not blame others. Best, Dr. Wong

7. Abdul Wahab says

I think that Autism is caused by vaccination partially. I have my oldest son who has been diagnosed Autism at the age of the two after giving MMR.

8. At says

Cuba has a very rigorous vaccine schedule. And it includes the same vaccinations as USA and Canada, maybe even more. I think it’s important that when someone is speaking regarding tests and protocols in countries, research should be done.

9. admin says

Dear At, thank you for your comments and I agreed that “it’s important that when someone is speaking regarding tests and protocols in countries, research should be done.” I hold myself to the highest reputation but there are times when a mistake or two would slip, and this is why I caution my readers to a) inform me like you do and b) read my stuff as “educational and informational purposes only.” You could checkout this at my Disclaimer. There are probably much debates about autism and vaccines in the literature than we know of. The connection of autism and vaccines remain controversial. In this blog, I have written about the amount of dose and imply that certain vaccine ingredients like Thimerosal (mercury) and aluminium can have neurological damaging effects. I boldly proposed that the reason that Cuba has lesser autism rate is because of its vaccination schedule. Let me explain. First, Cuba made 70% of its vaccines administered and maybe this has an effect due to its ingredients. Second, I counted from its vaccination schedule a total of 35 doses upto 6 years old and compared to US version of 50 doses. Last, it could be quite possible that Cuba did not correctly reported its autism cases and that US kept full and correct account of its autism rate. Nonetheless, you could see the reason that I said Cuba has lower autism rate than US with its non-aggressive vaccination schedule. You have mentioned that Cuba has an aggressive schedule and more so than USA. We would be happy to see if you could provide a source or any literature citation rather than a personal communication from someone.

10. says

I do believe that there is a link, as well. I have talked to a coworker who is from a poor country in Africa where they don’t do ANY vaccines (they just can’t afford it) and she had never seen Autism or anything like it until she moved to the United States.

11. L says

Correlation does not equal causation. This article doesn’t give references and doesn’t seem to be taking into account many other factors that could be causing a lower level of autism in Cuba. Not that I don’t disagree there does seem to be a surprising amount of connections being made between autism and vaccines but we need some big studies being done who don’t have special interests involved….

12. EGEG says

Notice it’s about how many cases of autism are DIAGNOSED, not how many occur. It wouldn’t be surprising that a place that doesn’t have resources to vaccinate most of their children also wouldn’t have resources to diagnose them with a disease as difficult to diagnose as autism. It’s not the same as diagnosing chicken pox or the flu, and often isn’t “severe” enough to be immediately life threatening. I know in times past people in the US weren’t diagnosed with autism, and were just thought to be slow, weird, or antisocial. There are SO MANY differences between the US and Cuba, it seems very presumptuous to blame it on the vaccines.

13. Jessica says

In addition to the differences in vaccine schedules between the two countries I’d also like to know whether Cuban children are consuming processed foods with ingredients – wheat, corn, soy – that have been sprayed (soaked?) with glyphosate. Could it be that the combination of the effects caused by our (junk) food supply plus an aggressive vaccine schedule is wreaking havoc on our children? As mothers we are best positioned to educate ourselves to try to shield our children from these influences. Eat organic, breast feed as long as you can to encourage gut health, if you choose to vaccinate for some things adopt a delayed and modified vaccine schedule (read Sears).

14. says

Hi Jessica, it is highly possible that your argument is right that environmental pollutants can create a havoc in our little body biochemistry. Thank you for your post.

15. says

Hi EGEG, although it is presumptive to quickly blame the vaccine but the point of this article is also to highlight the significant of cultural differences in health care. A good health policy can certainly make a huge difference in contributing to diseases.

16. says

Hi L, I agreed that we should be quoting studies or scientific discoveries, and maybe you should enlightened us if you came across one. Thank you but I am also careful in choosing my references and who I am quoting.

17. EIW says

Is it safe to use binary relations to explain complex relations in a society?
    Is it no so that the diagnostic tool for giving the diagnose Autism is different in US and other countries in the table? Further; does not the diagnose “autism” give right to public funded health care in the US, unlike other (or no) diagnoses? Is not the awareness of the possibility of an autism diagnose / knowledge about autism hugely different in the health care systems in the countries in the table? Could not these factors be just as powerful in explaining the variation in autism rate as vaccines?

18. says

Hi EIW, you got my points. There are differences in criteria to diagnose autism between countries and sometimes, even within. This has to do with medical autonomy (medicalization of autism), politicalization for votes and policy-making, and consumer-demands. Theses acts are not necessary bad but can be misleading.

19. marie says

Cuba has an excellent vaccination rate. It’s true that they have less resources, but they make it work. People trying to blame vaccinations for autism are beating a dead horse. In multiple studies, it has been proven that there is no correlation between vaccines and autism.There are many differences between Cuba and the U.S that would be more likely to have a causative relationship with autism. A few off the top of my head:
    Healthier diets, better preventative and prenatal care, younger parents, on average. Also, there are less cellphone towers, and less urbanity in general. Cuba is doing a lot of things right, and keeping the population vaccinated is one of them.

20. says

Hi Marie, you are trying to point out that there are many causation or exacerbation of autism. This point I agreed but I still would not discount vaccination. This is what you injected into your child and the conspiracy behind it still persists.